Friday, January 18, 2008

A few interestinng hands today

Ok guys, I am delivering. I will not discuss resluts, rather, I will discuss hands that i think I played well. Last night, my friend Jared did a sweat session of 2 tables of 100 6 max, and one table of 200 hu. Jared plays 25/50 and occasionally higher, and is up 240k this month which is obviously a monster month. Having him is an invaluable resource that I don't take advantage of enough. He does coach guys that play high stakes and charges $500/hr. It is a real treat to have that type of service for free even if it only happens once a month. Jared if you are reading this, I really do appreciate your help. Anyways, Jared is a VERY solid player. There is so much hype over the sexiness that is a lag style. However, most of the players who are making good money have accepted the fact that playing a lag style is VERY difficult to do. Also, people make sooo many mistakes. The style that Jared teaches is to just wait for mistakes. People will make them. You do not have to force mistakes, you do not have to always try to outplay. It is amazing how much money playing an abc game will make you. On to some hands:

This one was against a total laggro donk. It is nothing special, but that is kind of the theme of this post. It is also the biggest pot of the day.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1960360


Another hand against a laggro donk. I have been playing around with three betting small when strong. It has worked pretty well to this point, although this ape was getting it in regardless of how I bet it.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1960369


Yet another hand against a donk

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1960377

There were 5 pots that I won a buyin on last sesh, but the other two were ones that I won a coinflip with a big draw. Profit from poker really comes from playing against apes. At the lower stakes, the rake is so big that you really have no reason to be playing at a table full of tags. The rest of the hands are ones that I think I played particularly creatively. Have a look:

This hand comes from a hu session that I prolly had no business playing. The guy smoked me for $350. He definitely ran better, but I also called off $150 that I shouldn't have, so he played better as well. As far as him having an edge, it helped that he got up early and that likely gave him an edge over me as being up in a match is simply a huge edge in hu play as everyone plays better when they are winning (my favorite poker quote is Dan Harrington's "My edge over a weaker player when we are both having good luck is not nearly as big as it is when we are both having bad luck") Anyways, the flow of this match was that at this point, he had taken a few small pots off me, and had the momentum, but I had made a check raise bluff that he folded to about 10 hands earlier.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1960402

I actually ran pretty well in my first session, but lost most of the $500 that I was up back in a hu match. I so desperately want to play hu, but I can't afford to until I pull out of this tailspin. More later. Also, I would like feedback on what you guys like from this. In my previous blog, a lot of people liked that I was bluntly honest. The majority of you guys are from the study group, so I imagine you are looking for hands etc. Call me a whore, I tailor to what my readers want.

3 comments:

Gregory Lynn said...

"The style that Jared teaches is to just wait for mistakes. People will make them. You do not have to force mistakes, you do not have to always try to outplay. It is amazing how much money playing an abc game will make you."

Can you please just tattoo this on the inside of my eyelids?

grinder said...

hi johnny

im particularly interested in the 1st hand

you 4 bet the ak and he calls , what range have you got him on ( have you stats ? ) im not sure what hands i would call 4 bets with probably only JJ QQ maybe only JJ

when he bets the flop what di you have hin on ? were you going all in as soon as the ace hit ?

i am just wondering if this a pretty standard play ? for my own information

nice hand by the way

graham

Johnnybeef said...

Hi graham,

When he calls the 4 bet, I am likely to put him on a range that is weighted towards JJ+ AK. Since the guy was a maniac, I definitely add some weaker aces and smaller pairs as well. When I saw that flop, I didn't even think to put him on a hand. I hit my hand, the pot was big, and he has a bluff/weaker ace there much more than JJ. This play isn't totally standard as I am up against a maniac, but it is definitely standard as far as playing against a fish is concerned.