Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Another sweet fucking day

Fellas, I was hoping to have some interesting hands for you all as I hate focusing on the negative, but I feel sick to my stomach after that last session. No human being should have to endure what I am going through. I guess putting my life into perspective should help. I am healthy, and I live in a country where there is opportunity. I was not born into extreme poverty, and I have two parents that love each other as much today as they did on their wedding day. I am just going through a rough stretch right now. There are BILLIONS of people on this planet who would love to be in my situation but all I can think about is how miserable I am because of a stupid fucking game.

There, I needed that.

The negativity in this blog ends today. The next post I make will not focus on results. I am reading T. Angelo's book and there is some great advice in it. For those who haven't read it, it is titled Elements of poker. The book is 250 or so musings about poker written by one of the foremost experts in tilt control. The element that I am most fond of thus far is element 51, "object of the game." For those who haven't read it (I am doing this no justice, Tommy is a master of the English language) the summary is that the object of playing poker is to make money. That is why we get so wrapped up in winning or losing. If we change the object of the game to fold the most hands, or to talk the least of the group, we no longer get upset about making the right play. I have enough money to get by off of for the next few weeks. I have many friends that are able to loan me money if I go broke. I am by no means in financial trouble. I do not need the money (although it would help.) From now on, the object of every poker game I play in will be to make the correct decision regardless of how my emotions want me to play. If I can do this, I will win the game.

1 comment:

Velislav Babatchev said...

Good outlook. I have been running pretty spotty lately too, and Tommy's book is awesome I agree. I'm glad you can wrap your mind about just playing the best you can and not even looking at the end result. I've been trying really hard to accomplish the same feat. Good luck!